Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Current Events

My wrist is much better, despite the best efforts of my class. I have most of the mobility back. Still hurts at times, but not nearly as bad as before.

That said, I'm still recovering from last Wednesday's epic abuse in class. I bruised my hip, apparently. While doing rolls last night, I found that said sore muscle still hurts. A lot. I was thinking that I probably won't test this time around. Given that I'll need to take another week or so to recover (thus missing more instruction), my plan not to test is now a reality.

---

I'm going to skip town soonish on a trip. It's been a while since I've done any kind of traveling that requires me to pack a bag.

I find my OCD is ill-suited to packing for trips where I probably won't need very much. I have a tendency to over-pack.

Given how travel works these days (airlines gouge for heavy bags), it's a battle for my nature.

---

I'm about... oh... 2/3rds through Steven Erikson's Dust of Dreams. I find this book to be a profound "meh". I'm not finding the Malazan Book of the Fallen series to be very satisfying. It had an interesting start and then went off in a psychotic frenzy of too many different directions. The cast of characters would have made Robert Jordan flip out (and Jordan was terrible at expanding his dramatis personae list).

So far I'm hard-pressed to describe exactly what's going on in Erikson's latest. Oh there's pages and pages of descriptions and dialog, but nothing really seems to be happening. Lots of dire portents and trash-talking. There's the odd battle or two with seemingly-random betrayals and convoluted scheming but the actual story is moderately-incoherent by this point.

I'll make myself finish it, mostly out of loyalty to Erikson, but his latest two novels are a far cry of the relatively-simple Gardens of the Moon. I personally think he would do better to go with shorter stories. This narrative has really gotten away from him.

---

New "Lost" tonight! YAY!

---

I woke to pouring rain and strong winds this morning. Actually, it's more accurate for me to say said rain and wind woke me this morning... much earlier than I would have preferred.

A rainstorm is my kryptonite. That kind of weather makes me want to just curl up in my warm, warm bed and sleep.

So, of course these sorts of storms always hit on mornings when I have to get up and get moving.

*sigh*

No comments: