Friday, December 19, 2008

Chintastic

"My Name is Bruce" was pretty hysterical. I only found myself wincing at Ted Raimi's portrayal of a (bad) stereotype of a Chinese man.

Still, when questioned on the topic later, Campbell pointed out that pretty much everyone in the movie was a stereotype and every character was badwrongbad as well as pretty stupid.

I should rewind.

The evening started at Beckett's for pub fare and pints. I met some of Vicky's friends, including this mysterious "Guy" character I'd heard so much about.

Guy makes chainmail dice. The dude is in my pantheon of heroes.

John, one of the others present, had a Stormtrooper hoodie (I'm totally buying one). Another in the pantheon.

Vicky's other friend, Madeline, shares my exact views on Berkeley - almost verbatim. This includes my thoughts on Berkeley pedestrians.

Kind of funny, actually.

We then hit the movie. It was crowded and entertaining. Then Bruce Campbell did a very entertaining half-hour of Q&A afterwards.

Any cult movie attracts its fair share of unwashed freaky fans. This was in Berkeley, so the percentage of socially-awkward mouthbreathers goes up by a lot.

And there were a lot of socially-retarded attention-whores there.

A lot.

Campbell managed them all like a champ.

There was trash talking. There was barbed but not-unkind jabs from Campbell to the audience. There was a horrific crank call to a guy's mom.

Campbell is hysterical. I regret that I didn't get any good pictures (the lighting was horrible). Vicky got an excellent shot at the end. I'm hoping to get a copy when she has time to download her pics.

No comments: