Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Doom, Gloom, and other cheery things

Woke up. Thought it was Thursday. It's not. Am not happy with this development.



Am desperately hoping I can finish at least one of two urgent-ish projects today. Am curious what the magic 8-ball would say on that topic.



I'm about 3/4 done reading "The Apocalypse Codex" by Charles Stross. It's the latest in his "Laudry Files" series.
  • It's brilliantly-written.
  • It's a disturbingly-prescient view of the U.S., specifically fundamentalist religion in the U.S., through a Lovecraftian filter.

There's stuff in this that really fits in Todd Akins' world view.

I actually like this book better than Stross's last. This one is... not really "cheerier" but the pacing and narrative is less soul-sucking and driving me to find pictures of kittens online.

It's not a happy book, though. Some scenes truly sicken and fuel outrage, but I like feeling the rage. It's like an extra cup of coffee through a red haze of "HULK SMASH" in the brain.



Based on his "little gaffe" and his responses to said "gaffe", I think Todd Akins is in the running for one of the most repelling and abhorrent human beings in American politics.

And that's some truly vile company he's got.



So after seeing the Klarus XT11 flashlight on ThinkGeek (PUSHERS OF AWESOME!), I trolled the Internet a bit.

Found a deal that I couldn't pass up. Long story short, I got one. Much cheaper than listed on ThinkGeek. Don't ask.

It arrived yesterday.

I think I'm in love.

It's got a bit of heft to it. Nice, well-constructed light. Comes with batteries, which is a plus. Also comes with extra 'O' rings, a holster, a lanyard, and all that fun stuff.

It's got a removable strike bezel and clip on it and two buttons on the end. One turns it on, the other controls intensity. A combination of the buttons flips it from continual beam to a strobing effect that is truly seizure-inducing.

And this little bastard is BRIGHT! It defaults to the 600 lumen setting, which is just... yikes. Click the intensity button and it drops down to a "mere" 150 lumens (still pretty goddamn bright). Click again and it's a dim 10 lumens.

I like it so much that I actually think the ThinkGeek price would have been worth it. So I obviously am thrilled I got it for much less through sheer luck. Amazon has a pretty good price too (and the free shipping and all that).



I don't need any more bags (sweet FSM do I not) but ThinkGeek is relentless. They just posted the Plan-B Evac Sling Pack.

It... does draw the eye. I may put this on my "lust list" (inspired by the words of Apocalypse Equipped, who would probably also find this pack appealing).

No comments: