Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Winning Big

I have weird relationships with my friends.

For example, I have promised one friend that I will indoctrinate my friend's offspring into a cult that worships Cthulhu. I've offered to provide tiny black robes and wavy-patterned daggers as part of this.

I'm not allowed to babysit. Works for me.

With another friend, we try to top one another for the most horrible things to say about the other person. We say some pretty awful stuff. If you overheard us, you'd assume we hate one another.

So I have a friend at work with whom I have a "tradition" of sorts. Every morning, I pop my head into her cube and say "Good Morning!" in the most annoyingly-chipper voice I can muster. If it's a Friday, I add in "Happy Friday!". If it's a payday, I add in "Happy Payday!".

It's become a morning ritual akin to my morning coffee or my nerd-rants with others.

These "Good Morning!" greetings have evolved into a competition of sorts. My friend (I'll call her 'E') and I race to say "Good Morning" first. On Fridays, it's a rush to say "Good Morning! Happy Friday!". If it's a payday, then it's "Good Morning! Happy Payday!". If all three coincide... well it's quite the fast ramble.

Our competition escalated when I started doing artwork posters and leaving them taped to her monitor to "win" the contest.

I did say my interrelationships were weird.

So 'E' skipped town on a much-deserved holiday for the next couple of weeks.

On my monitor was a detailed list of days containing "Happy Friday" greetings and "Good Morning!" greetings to cover the nine work days she's out.

At the bottom, in tiny print: "I win "BIG""

I'm torn between escalating even further and rewarding this level of OCD.

And it was a much-needed laugh for a Tuesday morning.

No comments: