Thursday, June 24, 2010

Russian Aboat

Today I took the day off to join family in a tour of a rare Russian war ship visiting San Francisco.

We got into the city early-ish and made our way into line. By the time we got there, the line was easily 150 people deep. Maybe more.

And we waited.

It was a chilly, foggy, windy day in San Francisco. So it was a normal summer day, really. We waited and waited for the 10am opening of the gates to start the tour and waited as SFPD conducted security searches of people going in.

That caused a momentary start of panic. I'd forgotten I had a pocketknife on my person. I wandered off and hid said pocketknife under a bit of shrubbery then rejoined the family. About 11:30, we got through security without much issue. The police took custody of the Atwood Ghost I wear as a necklace. It's little more than a bottle opener, but I guess it looks like a weapon. Oh well.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I also dropped my money-clip (not holding money) while going through security.

And then we got into another line to wait to board the ship.

The crew took tourists in groups of 30. We made our way up the precarious and steep gangplank to the ship and made our way around the dark-grey and foreboding decks and halls of the ship while a designated officer tried to speak over the blustery winds.

Then we learned most of our particular group of 30 were native Russian-speakers. So the tour was mostly done in Russian.

Good times.

It didn't really matter. It was cool to walk around the decks of the ship.

The tour lasted maybe a half-hour. We were only allowed to stay on the deck and not go below decks. It was still interesting.

We eventually wandered off the ship and reclaimed our repossessed items. The police officer who held my Ghost bottle opener became my personal hero as he also found my lost money clip.

We left the secure area and made our way to the 21st Amendment for lunch and drinks. En route I recovered my pocket knife from under the shrubbery (one of these days I'm going to remember to leave the damn thing at home when I go to places that logically have security).

Beer + a tasty burger = happy tummy

It was a full day and lots of fun. I regret nothing.

No comments: