Sunday, June 13, 2010

Fit-ing in

In many ways it's the Veeb's fault.

In many other ways, it's my own tendency to like shiny things.

Mostly it's the fault of that damn second law of thermodynamics.

So my trusty Toyota Tercel, a faithful companion of twelve long years, hit a point where retirement was in its immediate future.

Such is the way of things.

It was hardly a surprise. I've known for a few years now that I'd be needing a new car. I've been shunting money into savings in anticipation and just trying to settle on a choice.

So now we get to the Veeb's part. ("The Veeb" is a code-name for a friend who is a devious and awesome enabler)

The Veeb told me of the Honda Fit and described a trip into the mountains with some friends. She spoke highly of the roomy interior, the pep, and the overall nice aesthetics of the vehicle.

I started my investigations into the vehicle shortly after that.

In recent months, I've looked at lots of cars. Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas, etc. Mainly Japanese cars. My luck with American cars has never been good. My poking around always brought me back to the Fit. Consumer Reports gave it a great rating, save a certain dislike they had for the headlights on low beam.

Finally, last Friday, my mechanic told me that my trusty Tercel was needing nearly two grand in repairs.

My Tercel wasn't worth two grand, save perhaps in sentimental value.

The time had come to stop procrastinating and bite the bullet.

That afternoon, I test drove a Fit.

I loved it.

I went out that evening to geek and drink tiki drinks (GeekiTiki!). My mind was partially on the Fit. At this point I was just trying to work out how much I'd put down and what color I'd choose.

Yesterday, I got the pink slip to my Tercel. I trucked in to the dealership. Three and a half hours later, I drove my new Fit home, then in to see the family. I even considered taking it to the south bay for our family obligation, but I resisted.

Last night I drove it home from my parents' house, very late. No problem with the headlights.

I love this car in an entirely-unhealthy way.

Having car payments again sucks.

Having new wheels rocks.

And I gotta give props to Honda. Their people were pretty cool. No-pressure. Easy-going. Nice.

It helps that I was a referral and I have outstanding credit. And I put down a crapload of money up front.

Me likey the new wheels.

No comments: