Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ignoranimusness

Few things inspire a strong feeling of ignorance than technology.

I should back-up.

So I'm looking into getting a new PC. My old one is starting to show its age and it's about time.

I've started looking at a few of the basic standbys (Dell has worked for me in the past, but I'm not married to the idea of another Dell and Newegg has some options).

And then I encounter the lingo. For example:

ZT Affinity 7359Ma Phenom II X4 955(3.2GHz) 6GB DDR2 1TB ATI Radeon HD 4650

Yeah. Okay. So... I get that "6GB DDR2" is the memory (RAM). I get that it's a 1 Terabyte hard drive (whee!). I assume the processor is the "Phenom II X4... yadda yadda". I just don't have a clue if that's good or not.

Yes, I can (and will) do research to familiarize myself with what constitutes a good processor vs. a bad processor and what numbers I have to pay attention to, but it's galling to look at all this and feel like my grandmother.

And having to do research flies in the face of my "I WANT IT NOW" instincts. *sigh*

No comments: