Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wireless Woes

I recently obtained an iPod Touch (or an "iTouch", as the kids are callin' it these days).

It's very shiny, but I refuse to get distracted from my ramblings with its shiny shiny-ness.

So... shiny...

[SMACK!]

Must... focus...

So, yeah. Wireless.

To put stuff on my shiny little iTouch requires wireless. [EDIT: Yes, I've since learned differently. Moving on. /EDIT]I don't have wireless at home. I use a wired router, mainly 'cause it was cheaper when I bought it and they're inherently more secure than wireless routers.

I never really needed wireless until I got my laptop some time back. I didn't bother getting a wireless router 'cause I could just use a spare data cable and jack my laptop into an extra port on my wired router and I was good to go.

I really don't need to websurf on my laptop from anywhere in my cave dwelling. I websurf too much as it is.

The iTouch has inspired me to revisit this strategy. Some time in the past, my good friend Erik gave me an old/unused wireless router of his.

Loathe to mess up my existing setup and swap out the wired router, I put Erik's gift on a shelf and promised myself I'd look into installing this later.

"Later" became last night. I grabbed the router, the installation CD, and a spare data cable and immediately looked on the Web to see if it would be possible for me to run the wireless router through my wired router.

Sure, it's a weird setup, but as I said, I'm tweaky about messing too much with what I've got in-place.

Turns out it's quite possible to run a wireless router through a wired router. I have to disable a setting on the wireless router and make sure it has a different IP address, but otherwise it seems like it should work fine.

So I started to look into setting it all up.

And then I realized my problem: I don't have a power cord for the wireless router.

I'm actually not sure I even have a spare outlet for yet another plug, but the lack of a power cord is a slightly bigger problem.

Argh.

So, for now, my iTouch is just a very shiny iPod instead of being able to do web-browsing and app stuff.

But it's so... shiny...

SHINY!

1 comment:

Schadwen said...

You can also get the Apps through the iTunes store, and then download them when you sync...