Friday, May 28, 2010

Whodunnit

I'm amazed at the number of "Doctor Who" fans in my office. I may have problems with Russell T. Davies and his overly-sentimental spew-everything-on-the-wall style of writing, but he did wonders to make "Doctor Who" cool...ish.

What's kind of funny is the uneven reactions to the "old" series amongst the fans. We universally loathe the FOX TV movie with Paul McGann. We all think McGann was good enough, but the rest was just... [shudder]

I'm filling in gaps in my old collection as time (and money) allows.

The Hartnell stuff is pretty dated and... um... let's just leave it at dated.

The Troughton stuff works better for me, but I've always thought Troughton rocked.

The Pertwee stuff isn't as good as I recall from when I watched it on PBS, but it's quite possible I've developed standards since then.

The Tom Baker stuff still rocks. Except "The Pirate Planet". I still can't stomach that one.

Moving on...

The Davison stuff still bores me. I got "Earthshock" purely 'cause I get to see a hated companion DIE and that makes me happy. I got "The Five Doctors" 'cause... it's the FIVE DOCTORS! 'Nuff said.

The Colin Baker stuff... um... yeah. Poor Colin Baker. Moving on.

The McCoy stuff is delightfully-weird but I have to admit it's growing on me. I need to get more of those. I'm missing episodes and I'm pretty sure I didn't see some.

My fellow fans and I are pretty solidly-united behind Matt Smith being an excellent Doctor. Amy's merits as a companion are debated by some heathen, but I just shout down the naysayers.

I'm seriously-intrigued to see where Moffatt is going with the story arc for this season. I just pray I don't see a Dalek again this season. Ye gods what an awful episode "Victory of the Daleks" was.

No comments: