Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Alt-Universal

I'm apparently watching and reading too much material pertaining to alternate universes.

Well, strictly-speaking, any fiction book deals with an alternate universe, I suppose.

Bah.

Last night was a particularly-vivid night of dreams. I think I'm fighting another bug, so I crashed early and slept the sleep of the dead. Except for that whole dreaming bit. I'm not sure the dead dream when they sleep. Dunno. I haven't found a dead to answer my question.

Um... yeah. Moving on.

So, the first sign I was dreaming of an alternate universe was the zepplins. It's become a cliche now that if you're seeing zepplins in the sky, you're in an alternate Earth.

I dreamt that Richmond had gotten it's act together and was hosting an airfield for zepplins.

Oh, and they had wind and solar farms set up amidst actual farms. It was all strangely-idyllic.

And I don't even like Richmond. I have no idea why I was dreaming of that city getting all cleaned up and everything.

I suspect it was a mix of my reading material (in Stephen Hunt's The Court of the Air, there are zepplins... and steampunk) and my frustration with developments in the news (increased failure of municipal infrastructures, increasingly-creepy developments in technology, increasingly-frustrating directions with air travel, etc.).

My subconscious. It's got strange ideas.

Wasn't really a steampunk-dream, though. There wasn't steam-stuff. There was just a lot of really cool and off-kilter stuff.

Would be fun to live there.

No comments: