Friday, May 28, 2010

Pilgrimage

Thanks to the pure evil that is the staff of my comic book store (I'm kidding... they're not pure evil, just good at getting me to spend my money there) I discovered the "Scott Pilgrim" series.

While I tend to like the non-DC/Marvel titles more as time passes, I don't normally go for hipsterish, indie comics like "Scott Pilgrim".

I must've been bored when the push...um... comic folks convinced me.

Anyway, I got the first volume with my usual batch of material then eventually made my way home and read it.

I loved it.

The next time I was there, I got volume 2.

Yesterday I broke down and hit Borders for volumes 3 and 4.

I'm aiming to get volume 5 this weekend at some point.

It's essentially about a scatterbrained slacker named Scott Pilgrim who meets Ramona Flowers, a ninja delivery girl who can skip through alternate dimensions to make her deliveries (Scott's dreams are one of those dimensions).

Scott is smitten with Ramona and asks her out. She accepts, but warns him that he will have to fight her seven evil exes. They're so evil they've actually formed a league of evil united by the fact that they all dated Ramona.

And they all have superpowers.

Scott isn't exactly without his abilities, though.

The series is a delightful mix of the surreal and the mundane in a humorous mix of real-life 20-something aimless angst and pop-culture fantasy (lots of gamer humor gets mixed in).

There's a movie coming out soonish that supposed to adapt some - or all - of the series. I expect I'll have to check it out.

No comments: