Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Sound of Tuesday

Hello Tuesday, my old enemy
I've come to swear at you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its scars while I was sleeping
And the vision that was stabbed into my brain
Still remains
Within the taint of Tuesday.

(Apologies to Simon and Garfunkel)
---
The work week is entering into its second day and already little seeds of drama are starting to bear fruit. I have zero tolerance for drama this week, so I shall probably respond with weed-killer.

I always forget that wisdom borne of "M*A*S*H" episodes: never volunteer.
---
I'm lukewarm to the whole "steampunk" scene. Done right, it's cool, but as with many things I've seen it done in a fashion that only makes me shake my head and think of the S.C.A. (and not in a good way).

Out of a desperate need for interesting reading material, I picked up The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt. It's billed as a fantasy-steampunk thriller with a strong flavor of Charles Dickens in it.

I thought I'd give it a try.

I've been keeping it in my bag at work and only reading a few pages at lunch. That's just not enough.

This book is good. I'm only about 75 pages in and it's got my complete attention. I'm dismayed to find that paperbacks of the other books in this series are imports and a bit more difficult to get.

The Kingdom Beyond the Waves is supposed to come out in domestic paperback on May 25. The Rise of the Iron Moon looks like something I can get through dealers elsewhere. No idea when Secrets of the Fire Sea will be available in paperback.

Time to hit a few local bookstores, I think.
---

No comments: