Thursday, May 13, 2010

Movies

In a more wholesome follow-up to the mad chaos of Kick-Ass, I indulged myself last night and went to go see How to Train Your Dragon.

I was expecting a cute kid's film with good effects.

I got a surprisingly well-done and somewhat sophisticated movie with little moral lessons in understanding and communication.

Oh, and dragons.

Holy mother of mercy were there a lot of dragons.

The animation was very "Dreamworks-y". I stopped noticing (and caring) about three minutes into the movie.

Didn't matter to me one bit that this was a cgi flick. The voice actors and the animation meshed perfectly. The plot kept moving at a steady clip. The puppy-love kid-romance didn't feel cloying or heavy-handed. Came off as kind of sweet, actually.

And the dragons. Yeah. Me likey.

Sure, it was surreal that all the adult vikings in the movie had bad pseudo-Scottish accents while all the kids spoke like contemporary American youth.

Sure, the violence was minimal.

Didn't matter.

There were surprising developments in the movie for an American children's film. I was startled by the ending.

All the same, I thought the movie was brilliant. I'm tempted to see it again and I'll own this the minute it comes out on DVD.

No comments: