Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pimping - CountyComm

Since Erik's "warning", I have since made yet another purchase from the fine folks at County Comm.

As a result, I want to pimp them a bit for the six people who probably ever read my rantings (none of whom will likely care, but what the hell).

County Comm sells... um... stuff. Most of it is the stuff EDC ("every day carry") obsessives like. "Tactical" bags (read this as: bags with lots of pockets for people who pretend they're badasses), flashlights, watches, and more esoteric things. I've obtained some neat pens from them (I'm a writer, I like pens). They sell "survival kits" (I always like those, even though I'm fairly confident I'd last five minutes in a real crisis situation) and other strange little things.

Essentially, they's kind of an "Army surplus" store that focuses on small stuff.

I first found the site linking from an article on pocket grappling hooks. It sounded so awesomely "James Bond" that I had to take a look.

They still sell the pocket grappling hooks (and paracord), though the hooks really aren't designed to support an adult's weight for any kind of climbing endeavors.

That's probably for the best. I haven't climbed a rope since high school P.E., and even then I did it poorly.

A lot of the stuff County Comm sells is surprisingly-useful. Little keychain doodads (including key rings) that I otherwise have to search a drugstore to find on the rare occasion I actually need such a thing. Can openers, radios, and tiny pry bars are only part of that list.

They even sell these things called "breacher bars" which apparently have multiple uses. I think my prybar covers most of 'em, so I haven't opted for one yet.

They have a fantastic little pocket shortwave radio with a built-in LED that's just too cool not to have. I think that's probably one of the things I've gotten from them that I'd recommend most to anyone.

And there's the "Peanut" lighters. Tiny little keychain lighters. Makers of fire.

I don't smoke, but it's still fun to own.

If you like little, portable things to have handy (tools, bags, etc.), it pays to peruse the site.

Disclaimer: I don't work for County Comm. I don't get any money from them nor do I know anyone who works for them. I do not have any kind of relationship established with them aside from being a customer of theirs.

No comments: