Thursday, March 25, 2010

Freaking Ellis

I've been a fan of Warren Ellis's mad writing since I discovered the "Planetary" comic book, some years back.

I loved "Planetary" and picked up a few more of Ellis's work. I read "Ocean", "Global Frequency", and many others. I have yet to find an Ellis story I haven't enjoyed in some way. His storytelling conventions share a certain base similarity in characters, but the worlds he adapts and crafts are brilliant.

I read his blog semi-regularly. In it, he's often made reference to something called FreakAngels.

The other day I finally took a look at it. Then I looked again. Then I went to the beginning.

Most of an evening later, I was done.

I dreamt about it.

I loved John Wyndham's "The Midwitch Cuckoos". Wyndham's stuff was also brilliant. That Ellis adapted the story somewhat could only make this more mind-boggling.

As soon as I pare down the credit card a bit, I'm buying the trades of "FreakAngels". I want to encourage Ellis to infect the world with more of his particular brand of fantastic insanity.

No comments: