Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blink

Twelve years ago I started working for my current employers.

Boggles the mind how fast the time went by.

It's been a good twelve years, especially when I recall the variety of craptacular places I worked between college and starting here. I marvel at the fact that I never developed an alcohol or drug dependency. I'm guessing it was 'cause I couldn't afford it rather than any innate strength of character.

Twelve years is a good chunk of time and the job and the people I've met here have had a tremendous impact on my life. That's sort of an obvious thing to say, but never hurts to acknowledge it.

Is twelve years too long? I'm not sure. Would it hurt my ability to move on, should I have to? Prior to working here I did some truly soul-wrenching, mind-numbing stuff and I came out of it more-or-less okay. I'm guessing I can still step up if bad things happen.

I certainly have no desire to move on at this point. I like where I am. I could be making more money elsewhere, but there's always a tradeoff and other places would lack stability that my current employers offer.

And I can sleep at night. Twelve years later, I still treasure that.

No comments: