Monday, August 24, 2009

Spree

I hit Japantown in San Francisco on Saturday, mostly on a whim, to see what I could find for entertainment.

I wound up returning home with a full stomach after a tasty lunch and carrying a couple of DVDs.

One was of a random... um... I'm not sure what it's about, really.

It's a period piece starring a couple of actors I recognize. Apparently their con-artists of some sort. The story seemed intriguing and I'm not regretting the purchase.

The other movie was Kitamura Ryuhei's LoveDeath. That's going to be pure gold.

Kitamura is the mastermind behind some of my favorite movies from Japan:

- Godzilla: Final Wars
- Azumi
- Aragami
- Versus
- The Messenger
- Longinus

and others. I'm intrigued by his animated offering, Baton. I want to see it.

Kitamura's stuff is quite stylized, crazed, often gorey, and over-the-top. It's a mix I quite enjoy. I'm sure LoveDeath will be the kind of crazy sh*t I've come to expect from him.

No comments: