Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Must Reads

I've got a few beliefs that I feel pretty strongly about.

I believe that there are certain rights that everyone is entitled to.

I believe discourse and a dissent are important to a healthy society.

I believe we - as a society - should keep a skeptical eye on our leaders at all time.

I believe we - as a society - have failed to keep our leaders in check and that abuses of power are taking place that we should be preventing.

I could go on, but this isn't why I'm on the soapbox. There are certain books that I feel everyone should read:

* "It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

* "1984" by George Orwell

* "Animal Farm", also by George Orwell

I'm adding "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow to that list.

In a world of ESCHELON, Carnivore, torture, surveillance and wiretapping,the PATRIOT act, and detention without trial, these books become very germane to current events.

No comments: