Saturday, December 15, 2012

Review: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Saw The Hobbit last night in 3D with the new higher frame-rate.

Thoughts (I'm not sure if these are spoilers, so be warned anyway):





























It was a beautiful film, just as the Lord of the Rings films were. Martin Freeman is an excellent Bilbo Baggins. I personally loved seeing Sylvester McCoy as Radagast the Brown (even though HE DOESN'T APPEAR IN THE DAMN BOOK!!!!).

Those were the best parts.

The story was vaguely true to the original in an "inspired by" sense. The Dwarves... well, I guess they were fine in their own way.

Mostly they didn't look very "Dwarfish" to me, but I guess that's a personal thing.

The story plodded along. That's mostly because a small book is getting broken into three ridiculously-long films and getting padded with a lot of unnecessary stuff.

The frame-rate made everything look kind of off and wrong. Most people I talked to said you don't notice after the first half-hour. Personally I found the effect really hit me towards the later half of the movie. The later parts seemed jarring and really took me out of the experience.

Personally I wouldn't recommend seeing it in 3D or at the higher frame rate. It's not worth it.

Overall, I give the film a solid 'C'. Adequate as an adventure film but not great. Nowhere near as enjoyable as the Lord of the Rings films. Not even by a little.

No comments: