Friday, December 7, 2012

MAD... you know, I'm not even going to try it this time

Watched my recording of Wednesday's "Arrow". They've added the DC character of the Huntress to the mix.

The acting remains a steady level of fairly awful. The dialog is actually physically-painful to listen to. The action doesn't suck, but there could be more of it.

And yet I can't stop watching. Am I craving superhero shows that badly?



Finished "Red Country" last night. Ye gods what a fucked-up book. Love Abercrombie's grim and crazy world, but I'm ready for something lighter.

Hello "Cold Days". A little Dresden Files action is what I need.



I really do need a book to dominate my time for a while. Having a few ugly moments with whatever repetitive stress is manifesting in my elbow. Using a mouse is an unpleasant experience, even with the neat ergonomic ones I now use at both work and home.

Need something to get away from the computer for a time.



Pear Harbor Remembrance Day today. A time when we U.S. folks recall how Hawai'i got introduced to WWII.

I had family in Honolulu during those days and, as a child, often heard stories of the bombing and how some of my family had to race another family member to the base. Made for exciting stories, but I never really understood it. Not properly.

Then, back in 2001, my grandmother insisted I take her to see Pearl Harbor.

She was present for the bombings and often mentioned that day in stories that I rarely gave much credit.

Pearl Harbor is a terrible movie, even with the delicious Kate Beckinsale in it. That said, the scene of the actual attack is pretty intense. And it freaked my grandma out. Actually brought tears to her eyes.

After that, I think I understood what it must have been like. Just a little, tiny, bit.

Makes me grateful I've never had to go through that kind of insanity in my life.

Interestingly enough, a few months later, 9/11 happened.

Thankfully, I was here in California, blissfully unaffected by the crazier stuff that was going on. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking of that damn movie and my grandmother's reaction a couple of times while the news was showing the Two Towers going down.

Crazy goddman world.

No comments: