Thursday, March 22, 2012

Google

Gizmodo has an interesting piece on Google.

I recommend giving it a read.

Google is a fascinating company. It's become a verb in our vocabulary. It's so much a part of the Internet now that people confuse it for the Internet.

I have Google email accounts (plural). I use their Google Sites for some stuff. I use Google Maps above Mapquest and other sites when getting directions to and from places. Hell, Blogger is now part of the Google Collective. I've got friends who work for Google.

Despite all that, I have to admit I have a lot of trust issues with Google. They're not dissimilar to the trust issues I had with Facebook prior to my nuking of my Facebook account.

These trust issues are a big reason why I only sparingly uses Google + and do my best to try to prevent Google's tracking of my moves about the Interwebs (be they innocent or not).

Our technology is shaping our society very, very quickly and I'm firmly of the opinion that the public (myself included) is not educated enough to understand how that technology is affecting our lives and our future.

Google's a big part of that and they could stand a lot more scrutiny and no small amount of regulation.

No comments: