Wednesday, November 18, 2009

frothing frenzy of frantic... um...

Okay, the title got away from me. I can admit that.

It's funny how my Tuesday ended. I completed a baking marathon the likes of which I've not done in a year or so.

I started off making some kind of strawberry shortcake cookie things for my friend as a birthday present.

Those... didn't wind up looking all that great. I sampled one that broke as I chipped it off the cookie pan. Tastes okay. I'm hoping my friend likes the batch. I figured out what I did wrong, so a second try should go smoother.

Then I made a batch of cookies, mainly to make sure I can still do it. I owe a batch to someone and so this batch was a trial run for the office (I saved a few for my own consumption).

And finally, brownies. Yeah. Those are dangerous. I've circulated some of those to my teammates at work.

Never hurts to provide sugary snacks to the coworkers. It helps garner a bit of goodwill when I need information later on down the road.

All that baking made me spin a bit. I wound up crashing early-ish last night and reading my latest book acquisition: "Monster" by A. Lee Martinez. It's quirky and kind of funny, so I'm enjoying it.

Then I heard a soft tap at my door that might, conceivably, be knocking.

Nobody knocks on my door. Well, hardly ever.

So I staggered to the door. One of my younger neighbors was a bit panicked. I guess her wireless died and she was working on some kind of assignment that required access to the Borg Collective.

Anyone asking me to diagnose problems with hardware must be truly desperate. She sounded really upset and stressed, so I grabbed a spare Ethernet cable and followed her into her apartment.

I'm always amused when people apologize for their places being a mess. Mind you, these are people who have not seen the chaos that is my apartment. If they only knew... but I digress.

Yeah. I had no idea why her wireless wasn't connecting her laptop to the Borg Collective. A light was out. Why was it out? I dunno. She turned the thing off and on again and that resulted in zip.

When in doubt, I'm a fan of hard-wiring. The router indicated it was still connected to the Internet, so I handed off the Ethernet cable on a loan and trundled on back to bed.

I don't think I've ever seen someone so happy to be reconnected. That's one serious student.

I should have offered her a cookie. Might have helped with the stress.

Ah well.

Halfway through the week!

No comments: