Tuesday, March 4, 2014

d20 for the future

After a day rife with disappointment and depression, I hiked off to my martial arts class hoping that kicking the unholy shit out of some helpless punching bag (or getting the unholy shit kicked out of me by a very capable classmate) would distract me from my bad mood.

Alas, it was not meant to be. Class wound up being canceled for reasons I don't really care about.

I did get time to chat with some of my classmates, several of whom are quite a bit younger than I.

The topics varied but I really perked up when some of 'em were discussing their latest Dungeons and Dragons campaign.

At first, I did a complete double-take. I thought most folks of a certain age only played online games. I am apparently quite wrong. These folks were talking good, old-fashioned, tabletop D&D.

We chatted tabletop gaming for a bit (I haven't played D&D itself in a few eons, as I favor a different system) and I found my mood lightening up considerably. Dunno why, but it gave me a sort of hope for the future that there's folks out there (I called them "kids", but they're not really, I suppose) who do tabletop gaming.

It really is the little things in life.

No comments: