Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Goals and Stuff

It's pretty much the expected behavior to have resolutions and life-plans in a new year.

I figured I ought to give it a try again, if only to see how fast I drop these little resolutions:

1) Exercise more.

I got a used copy of P90X from Amazon. I've actually started the program. I can't get through some of the DVDs, mainly due to lingering injuries and/or joint issues. Otherwise, I'm finding them a surprisingly-fun workout.

Painful, too. Goddamn painful.

2) Give more money to causes I support and dump less money into shiny junk.

In the wake of the reprehensible indefinite detention legislation, SOPA, and similarly un-American legislative developments that are cropping up, I'm going to try to shift more cash into ACLU, EFF, and Amnesty International.

We'll see how long that little bit of altruistic fever stays with me.

3) Get my bike fixed before the end of March.

A nice, simple goal. Given my tendency to procrastinate, I stand a 50-50 chance of actually meeting this goal.

4) Delete my Facebook account if they force that stupid Timeline thing on me.

I've had a love-hate relationship with Facebook since I joined it. I keep my account locked-down. I think I have a smidge over 50 friends. I share practically nothing of substance.

I really only use it to stay in touch with a few friends whom I'd otherwise never hear from. Some of my friends post some really funny stuff. It's got some solid entertainment value.

That said, I find myself constantly annoyed by Facebook's arbitrary behavior and their abhorrent privacy policies. I find myself often trying my best to kill tags people assign me and try to filter out as much of the chaff as possible to just see the stuff I care about.

Their new "Timeline" layout is annoying, intrusive, and spastic to look at. So they're obviously planning on forcibly-converting everyone to this new format.

I'm finding that these headaches are increasingly not worth the hassle. If this is the only way I can stay in touch with some friends, then they're probably not really all that good of friends to begin with.

There's also G+, but overall I'm finding myself disenchanted with these social media sites. They're increasingly not being worth the hassle.

Good times.

I've considered other resolutions. Maybe eat healthier. Work on projects that are a bit more worthwhile than my usual stuff. Websurf less.

I'm not going to kid myself. I wouldn't follow any of those resolutions worth a damn, so there's no point putting them on the list.

Maybe I'll just resolve to remain fickle. That's a resolution I can stick with... until I decide not to.

No comments: