Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Doctor Who

I have been remiss in my commentary on the latest "Doctor Who" Xmas special: "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe".

Once again, Moffatt's team pulls off a satisfying Xmas storyline. It wasn't (in my opinion) as solid as the "Christmas Carol" one from last year, but it was still entertaining. I liked Claire Skinner as the unflappable Madge Arwell and I found myself enjoying the kids as well.

The story itself was excessive in sentimental drivel, but I'm willing to cut them slack for Xmas specials.

I really wish Moffatt would include more actual villains in his stories. Aside from The Silence and one blissfully-brief pass with the Daleks, we haven't had any really solid bad guys for Matt Smith to counter. Most of the time he's dealing with purely-misunderstood threats.

That kind of moral ambiguity is all fine-and-well in stories from time-to-time, but I want more Harrison Chases in the Who-niverse and fewer River Songs.

No comments: