Friday, December 16, 2016

Review: The ZeroHour Apex Tactical Pen

You know how I said I'd never back another Kickstarter again?

It should come as no surprise to anyone who has read this mess of a blog that I lied.

ZeroHour is one of those Kickstarters who I really like. They communicate well and consistently. And they deliver in a timely manner. If there's hiccups or delays, they explain what's going on.

In short, they do what other Kickstarters should be doing. And they do it well.

I backed their first two flashlight offerings and have never regretted it. I keep one in my bag at all times and have the other handy. I've even backed their third flashlight offering because I have a terrible problem.

Okay, I'm getting off-track. So the pen. They sent out an announcement that they were doing a pen. A "tactical pen", to be clear. Honestly, I like a nice pen and find "tactical pens" to be an iffy thing to have on one's person. Still, I backed it. Got a titanium one because I do love me titanium. And it delivered on-time.

The ZeroHour Apex Tactical Pen is a clean-looking, small-but-sturdy writing instrument that looks like it comes out of a science fiction film. It has a screw-on cap that can be attached to a key-ring and, to earn the "tactical" moniker, has a tungsten carbide glass-breaker on the opposite end of the pen. The glass-breaker has a small screw-cap of its own so the sharp glass-breaker isn't poking holes in your garments (or skin).

The pen writes well and handles nicely. It takes Fisher Space Pen refills, which is always nice.

The other use for a "tactical pen" is that of an impromptu kubaton, at least in most cases. I can't say the Apex would fill that role very well. It's a tad small in my hand, but I suppose it could work. Certainly the pen doesn't look threatening, which is kind of important as it's a freakin' pen.

My only complaint about the pen is that the rubber rings they provide to help secure the screw tops are disinclined to stay put. I've already lost one. Still, that's a small thing in the grand picture.

I love the Apex pen and credit (or blame) ZeroHour for restoring my faith in Kickstarters enough that I backed a few more.

Just when I thought I was out...

No comments: