Monday, September 30, 2013

Review: Cruisers - a comparison

So now I own two "Cruiser" jackets: A few thoughts:
  • They're both warm (but not too warm) coats with a ridiculous number of pockets.
  • The Best Made Cruiser is lighter-weight. It has fewer pockets, but the pockets it has have greater capacity.
  • The Filson Cruiser is heavier with some kind of weirdly-reinforced sleeves that I'm finding difficult to describe. Neat, but kind of weird.
  • Both have a decidedly-loose fit, which works well for layering. I'd say Best Made's sizing is accurate enough. If you generally wear a Large, then you'll probably do fine with their Large. Filson's conversion chart gives "Small/Medium/Large" conversions for folks like me who look at size numbers and blank out.
  • Both are reasonably water-resistant. I haven't tested the Best Made Cruiser yet in any kind of heavy rain, but it's been fine in the light rain I've worn it through. The Filson was fine in the freak rainstorm the other day.
Do I have a preference? Not really. Both are pretty awesome. The Filson's extra pockets are offset by the Best Made's pocket capacity. Both suit my style preferences (such as I have any kind of style). I look forward to the weather cooling so I can give them some proper use and love.

No comments: