Thursday, October 18, 2012

Oct. 17, 1989

Dang. 23 years ago yesterday, the Loma Prieta earthquake hit, flattening the eastshore freeway, taking out a section of the Bay Bridge, and causing all sorts of mayhem.


I wasn't around for it. I was in another part of the state. I remember getting the news.

"An earthquake has hit the Bay Area", the announcement came over the intercom. "The Bay Bridge has collapsed. We do not have more information."

Way to scare the shit out of people, guys.

I raced home and tried to contact my family for the better part of twelve panic-stricken hours.

I never felt the quake. My family was fine. I think a beer stein got destroyed (the news of that brought me to tears, an indicator of just how important the sacred drink was becoming to me).

Ah, memories.

No comments: