Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tourism Comedy

According to SFGate, Berkeley is trying to become a tourist destination.

I may have heard funnier things in my time, but none of them are immediately popping into my head.

I'm not sure what sorts of tourist attractions Berkeley thinks it has to offer. It's a University town, so the college is nice, but it's not really a tourist draw. It's a student draw (and rightly-so).

It's got a few nice places to eat, but honestly, it's not worth the hassle of trying to park, getting hassled by panhandlers (or just random crazy people), dealing with the smell of someone pissing in the streets, or possibly getting mugged.

Oh yes, Berkeley isn't exactly safe.

I've experienced my share of fun encounters with Berkeley lifeforms trying to injure me, so I may have a bias.

I'm sure the various vacant shops might have some kind of draw. Or people just lying on the ground. Or drugged-out naked folks walking about.

Maybe they're thinking of the appeal of the crime rate. Gotta love this statement:

"With a crime rate of 67 per one thousand residents, Berkeley has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15. Within California, more than 98% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Berkeley."

I know more than a few people who have been assaulted in the city. The rape statistics alone are supposed to be pretty hideous, but I can't get ahold of any kind of solid numbers to back that.

Berkeley as a tourist destination. That's not even a funny joke. The city is a mismanaged cesspool in most parts. If the city wants tourists, they need to clean the place up. Badly.

No comments: