Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Declaration of Internet Freedom (Soapbox moment)

I'm of the opinion that - generally - petitions and the like do little substantive good in a world where money talks and bullshit walks.

Folks who protest in the streets don't accomplish much beyond getting portrayed as lunatics by corporate-owned media. The best way to exact substantive change is to pool money and rent a politician.

That said, there are a few exceptions.

Recent "grassroots" Internet movements have had some surprising traction. It's made me wonder if it's possible to move the political dialog along a bit through sheer social pressure.

So, with some cautious optimism, I forward this bit about the Declaration of Internet Freedom.

The concept is pretty sound, I suppose. Given the inability of U.S. citizenry to understand, much less defend, their own current constitutional rights, I don't have too much faith that this will go too far, but it's a start. Sometimes it's baby steps.

And sometimes I get surprised.

No comments: