Wednesday, June 27, 2012

For today's neurotic ranting...

Yesterday I went to IKEA.

To be clear: it wasn't my idea. I've only entered IKEA willingly one time, and that was to get a cover for my monitor at my desk.

Every other time I've been, it's been a female acquaintance who has instigated my having to brave the labyrinth of Swedish crap.

Yesterday was no different as I ran an errand for a family member.

I lamented the task. Not because I resented running an errand for a family member. No, I hate going into that goddamn place because it's a freakin' maze of crazy and difficult to get out of quickly.

I lamented such to a friend at work yesterday and she gave me concise instructions how to get in, find what I needed, and get out quickly. She even told me where the cafe is so I could get some lunch.

Tasty chicken wrap.

The mission was a success but I still hate that place.



The weather's nice. Perfect bike riding weather. I've been taking advantage to bike for my commute this week.

My route is mostly safe...ish. I go through a neighborhood that can be dicey at times, but I stick to a well-traveled road, so it's safe enough.

Still, I find myself often on-edge when I reach a certain area. The city I cross through to get to work is the only place I've ever been attacked in my life.

The first time I was... much younger. I'd left a party and had my last interaction with an ex-girlfriend. As I went to my car, a clearly-crazed fellow started hurling bottles in my general direction.

Dissatisfied with his aim, he broke a bottle to make a serviceable stabbing implement and came at me.

I didn't stick around to see how that was going to go. I ran like the damn wind, got into my car, and engaged warp drive to leave the city.

I think I calmed down and got my breath back about five miles out of town.

The second time I was riding my bike to work (along the route I took today). A shambling figure in layers of clothing (looking very much like a denizen of the street) did his(?) level best to pull me off my bike.

He caught part of my jacket sleeve but couldn't maintain a grip. I kept momentum forward and (miracle of miracles) control of my bike.

Again with the warp drive. Go adrenaline!

Why bring that up? Oh yeah. These encounters made me a tad paranoid. I'm often a little... ah... "hyper-aware" of people when I commute in.

Anyone acts oddly, and I beat a hasty retreat from them. Even if it's two guys just walking on an intercept path (which has happened). I just shift routes. Better to be paranoid than get my face kicked in and my bike stolen.

This morning my little mental alarm went off. It was probably nothing. Just some guy walking across the street.

I'm not sure exactly what set my alarms off. Maybe it was how he didn't just glance at me on my bike but tracked me. Maybe it was how he was looking around, as if to see who else was around. Maybe it was something else or nothing at all.

Didn't matter. Engage warp drive.

Beat my usual commute time by five minutes today. I'll probably feel this later.

No comments: