Monday, June 18, 2012

Eon Extreme Disappointment

Jeez. It was a little over a year ago that I got my Eon Extreme light from Ian Sinclair Ltd.

I add a hyperlink to their site with reservations.

See, the Eon Extreme, as I've previously noted, is a clever idea. It's a flashlight the size of a credit card (albeit a bit thicker). And it's damn bright.

I got version 1 of their offering back in May of 2011. I liked it, though I had a few problems with the activator.

I tried to get a second one on the theory that I just got a lemon in the batch. I've mentioned previously in the archives of this blog my experiences with them and feel no burning need to rehash the difficulties. Suffice it to say that as of today, they're still claiming delay in shipping, though they haven't updated that FAQ in almost a month so the FSM only knows what's going on with them.

Doesn't really matter and isn't especially germane to the reason for my post.

My Eon Extreme finally died yesterday. I can't really determine why. I'd been turning it on between the low and high settings, mainly just to see the comparison. The light has been buggy for over six months where the high setting is on for about two seconds then downshifts to the low setting by itself.

Yesterday, I turned it on and it wouldn't turn off. I fiddled with the switch endlessly to get it to power off. It gets hot if it's on for too long and I was afraid of a fire hazard.

I don't know why I worried. After about three minutes, it just died and won't turn on again.

What a disappointment.

The Eon Extreme is (was?) a clever concept, but I've had lots of better-crafted products cost a lot less for better value.

I've poked around a few flashlight forums to find reviews and discovered a lot more dissatisfied Iain Sinclair customers out there than I expected.

I'm done with these guys. A shame, but until I see they've gotten their act together, I'm not wasting my cash on their junk. Just not worth it.

No comments: