Friday, September 11, 2009

An interesting bit of sense

I was going to forbear from commenting on anything related to September 11. I don't find most of the drama around 9/11 to be particularly constructive. The event is still too recent in U.S. memory.

Then I read this article in Salon.

I like how Patrick Smith summed up the problems with TSA's current security plan. I've taken issue with airplane security since even before the 9/11 attacks and I can't say I think they're any saner now. TSA staff focus too much on penknives and such without giving enough focus on explosives and biological weapons or other methods of taking a plane out of the air.

I mean honestly... if you're on a plane now and someone starts waving around a box-cutter, how long do you think that person would stay upright? Really.

I don't account myself as any kind of particular badass, but even I could disarm someone of a knife if pressed. I'd be inclined to try to jump a knife-wielder rather than let a hijacker take a plane or threaten other people. And I'm pretty confident others would feel the same way.

I flew internationally a month after the 9/11 attacks. I went to Ireland, actually. Oddly enough, I felt tremendously safe flying. I figured airport security was hyper-alert and there would be no repeat of attacks.

My return trip home made me less-confident.

I remember landing in whatever international airport that is out in New Jersey (in sight of New York). I'd boarded the plane in Ireland and purchased an Irish shillelagh on a whim. I was surprised that Irish security let me take it on the plane. This was after an incredibly careful survey of my belongings for anything suspicious.

I figured I have an honest face and that they'd stop me in the U.S.

Heh.

I went through security again in the U.S. with my carry-on and my shillelagh. The TSA wonks made me doff my glasses, boots, and belt. They wanted me while a soldier stood nearby looking bored with an automatic rifle.

The TSA staff were very nice and polite in New Jersey. We joked and talked while they checked me over. I was thanked for my cooperation. I grabbed my bag, my belt, my glasses, my boots, and my shillelagh and walked through the checkpoint otherwise unmolested.

Have you ever seen a shillelagh? It's as thick as a baseball bat. In the hands of an average sized person, it's a pretty decent weapon. I'm a bit bigger than average and moderately strong.

The only point where anyone thought to question me having the shillelagh on my person was when I exited the restroom and a random passer by asked me how I got the shillelagh through security.

I could only shrug.

I got on my return flight to California without any further comment or issue.

Essentially I got on the plane with a freakin' baseball bat.

Nice job, TSA.

I couldn't carry freakin' tweasers, but a shillelagh didn't elicit any concern.

I'm not saying I posed a threat. I certainly didn't. I wouldn't have with tweasers either. The knife on my Leatherman Juice or a mini Swiss Army knife would also have posed little to no threat.

And yet TSA focuses most of their time taking away the little sharp things.

The airline security policies need to be changed. It's been eight years since the 9/11 attacks. I think enough time has passed. This needs to get fixed before someone exploits the loopholes for another tragedy.

Okay, enough of the soapbox.

No comments: