Monday, August 4, 2008

and Dr. Who

So the Russell T. Davies run of "Dr. Who" ended for the U.S. on Friday.

I've had mixed feelings about Davies. I'm a huge fan of his reviving the series, but some of his storytelling concepts (aliens created from human fat, farting aliens disguised as fat people, pig-people, etc.) leave much to be desired.

I was apprehensive when the fan buzz indicated that the "Who" finale would have pretty much everyone who survived season two of "Torchwood" (like I care), folks from "The Sarah Jane Adventures" (YAY Sarah Jane!) and past episodes of "Dr. Who" (more Rose? Jeez...).

That said, it really was better than I expected.

Rose, while still whiny and clingy, wasn't nearly as annoying this time around. Her mother, Jackie, was unnecessary. Mickey, Rose's dorky quasi-boyfriend, was actually much better. They toned-down his dorkiness. Thank god.

Captain Jack Harkness? Eh... he was entertaining, but not great. The rest of the Torchwood people were pointless.

Martha Jones? ROCK. STAR. I was okay on her as a companion (she was a bit whiny), but post-companion? She's Xena in UNIT. I'm a fan.

I was glad to see them deal with Donna in a way that made her more interesting. I was always lukewarm on Donna (hated her in the XMas special they introduced her in). She improved as the season progressed. I was satisfied how they resolved her story, even if it felt a bit half-assed.

The story resolution of Rose and the Doctor made little sense (why did she have to go back to the parallel universe? The Doctor didn't want her clinging around? He could've owned-up...), but eh. It is what it is. Could've been worse.

I swear. They'd better be done with Dalek stories after this.

Good stuff and a nice, clean slate for Stephen Moffatt to take over. Now, how can I bribe him to bring back Sally Sparrow as the Doctor's companion?

Mmm... Sally Sparrow...

What was I saying?

No comments: