Monday, July 14, 2008

weekend wrapup

Another weekend gone, and what a busy one it was!

I took Friday for much-needed "me" time. I was surprisingly-exhausted, given how low-key it was last week. Maybe I was fighting something?

Dunno.

Saturday was a game at Erik's.

[gaming-related rant follows... ignore if you are not a tabletop gaming geek]

I haven't enjoyed myself in a game that much in a long, long time. It was pure awesome from the get-go. Erik created the perfect combination of creepy ambience and challenging encounters that truly humbled me. Now I have something to aspire to.

The funny thing? The weird Ents? No problem. The trees that spat poisonous pitch? I wasn't overly-concerned. The pile of acidic leaves? Yeah... that bothered me, but I was far from danger.

What scared me? When the grotesquely-obese giant charmed one of the other characters and sent him after me.

I give Barton a hard time (sometimes with justification but usually I push it too far...) and in the game... well, my character and his don't mix well.

That said, I'm pretty clear that in a stand-up fight, I'm at a serious disadvantage against his character. There are scenarios where I can take his character down, but in most situations (like a swordfight), my character is well and truly hosed.

I was lucky that I was able to take him down with a special arrow and he didn't opt to use this magic doodad his character had that could deflect my arrows.

'Cause that would have sucked. My plan B wasn't as good.

In the end, good (well, players) triumphed and giant, super-fat, plant-blighting evil was smashed to the ground.

Good times.

I felt like I ran a marathon after all that, and I wasn't in as much danger as everyone else.

[end gaming commentary]

While at Erik's, I was exposed to some super-sour candies and got an education in chemistry (a subject I nearly failed in school).

Did you know that sour candies are acidic?

I didn't. And these candies were VERY sour.

My mouth and tongue are still fried from the acidic candy. I'm lucky my teeth are strong.

Sunday was family time. It was good times. I think I ate enough for a week. I'm still a bit full... and we ate lunch there. I skipped making myself dinner. Gah!

I had the weirdest dream, probably as a result of all that food. It turned into a classic anxiety dream (at one point in the dream, my car was stolen from in front of my parents' old house) and woke me up at 3am.

I couldn't quite get back to sleep. So now I'm in the office and more than a little disoriented.

Whee!

No comments: