Saturday, July 19, 2008

Avatar the Last Airbender

So, my somewhat-guilty-pleasure, "Avatar the Last Airbender" ended about twenty minutes ago.

I'm still processing it.

Yes, I know it's a kid's show. Surprisingly, it's quite sophisticated for a kid's show with a number of plot twists and thematic elements that are quite adult.

Overall, I'm VERY satisfied with the ending. I like how the non-violent character of Aang reconciled his pacifistic beliefs against the necessity of taking down the main villain.

I won't spoil how he does it.

I was a little disappointed in some of the loose ends. It felt a bit like they rushed to tie up the series, but they might have plans for future specials... or they're just screwing around with their fans.

Who knows?

It's a fantastic show. I highly recommend it to any fan of fantasy or martial arts. Once you get past the goofier kid's stuff, it's probably one of the better shows that's been aired in the last few years.

No comments: