Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Not the most fun day ever

I wasn't more than... oh... two, maybe three hundred yards from the office yesterday when I noticed an odd feeling as my bike hit a bump.

My flat tire.

Coming in early yesterday morning, my bike chain kept "skipping", making pedaling a bit of an adventure (and at 5-something AM, an adventure is not desired). The flat tire? That was just icing on the cake.

As my co-worker Mark pointed out, it was the gods punishing me for riding my bike.

Maybe Mark was on to something...

So there I am in pervert park (or whatever the place is actually called... it's some random spot that I didn't really want to stop in) trying to get the damn bike pump on the air valve (which was bent and not cooperative) while some random kid has decided to stop and watch the show (and making me self-conscious of my steady stream of profanity... so I couldn't even swear!).

And then there was the usual assortment of random crazy people wandering by uttering nonsense at me.

Whee.

I got enough air in the tire to get me going to a bike shop I knew of en route home. I knew they were open on Mondays and they'd tuned up my bike before. I stopped in to see if I could just get a tune-up and have them fix the flat. They said they'd get to it by Sunday.

Since the Bike Gods were already expressing displeasure, I just left the bike there. Who knows? Maybe they'll get to it early. Doesn't really matter to me at this point.

And I hoofed it home.

And that? That was a long walk.

A long walk.

And the sun decided to take that opportunity to come out and burn down.

Yesterday was not a terribly fun day.

Here's hoping today is better.

No comments: