Monday, November 25, 2013

Talking Techno Turkey

First day of my extended Thanksgiving vacation. I'd planned to dedicate the time to projects of some import.

The Gods of Perversity and Irony, however, have different plans.

For a while now, my main PC has been fussy about booting up. Resetting to previous saved points have mostly addressed the problem. Over the weekend, the PC decided that was just not acceptable.

I backed up most of my data and believed I'd addressed the problem. I woke this morning intending to get the rest of my data backed up then see if I could make progress on the projects while trying to analyze what's up with my PC.

The PC refused to boot.

Okay, I tried the system recovery disk I'd made.

Nope. Didn't like that at all.

Ooookaaaaaay. Fired up the laptop (which I'm currently on and has its own unique form of fussy behavior) and did a little research. I have a Dell, so of course I wasn't sent the Windows installation disk with the PC. Why would they make my life easy? So I have no easy way to make a bootable USB. Crap.

A little more research revealed the hidden partition drive where there's a fresh Windows install. I could use that. Potentially I could wipe the PC completely and reinstall fresh. Yeah... that's a nuclear option.

So now I've gotten it booted through the hidden drive and am running diagnostics. I'm not convinced the hard drive is failing, but I've been wrong before. I'm pretty sure it's a software corruption. I'm loathe to wipe and reinstall, but it may come to that.

The timing is not the greatest, but I've got lots of time off, so I guess it could be worse.

And to the Gods of Perversity and Irony: that wasn't a challenge. Fuckers.

No comments: