Friday, November 29, 2013

Adventures in Computer Disasters: Part Five

The PC is running.

Long story short: the power supply crapped out, causing the PC to shut down. This cascaded the issue by causing critical errors on the hard drive, making it nigh-impossible to boot.

Once the power supply was replaced, I was temporarily able to get into safe mode, but unable to run any kind of repair utility thanks to the errors on the hard drive.

Cue the heroic music as Ubuntu came to the rescue.

With Ubuntu loaded on a flash drive, I was able to boot an Ubuntu instance and eventually get it to the point where Ubuntu fixed the disk errors well enough that I could run the Windows Repair utility. From there, everything appears to be working... thus far. The PC passed a virus scan, so that's out of the way. Now I just wait for the other shoe to drop as I try to get to the projects I'd postponed...

No comments: