Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Adventures in Computer Disasters - Part Four

My PC is possessed by the Devil. It's the only real explanation.

I replaced the power supply. I can boot in safe mode. It technically works, but I can't get the goddamn OS to boot properly.

Won't boot from a recovery disk. Hell, it won't boot from a bootable Ubuntu flash drive.

Won't let repair mode work. Essentially all it will do is boot in safe mode. If I'm lucky.

My repair guy is out-of-town for the holidaze and I'm... filled with all sorts of holiday joy.

Since it's a goddamn Dell, it's got no installation disks. Everything of use to reinstall the OS is squirreled away on some inaccessible partition. So what I've learned today:

  • I can't restore a system image from a backup in safe mode.
  • I can't boot the damn PC in anything other than safe mode.
  • I can't reinstall the OS.
  • I've got a giant paperweight.
  • I'm never buying a Dell again. Ever.

No comments: