Friday, August 5, 2011

Time Twisting

I've re-watched "series six" of the revived "Doctor Who". I just finished re-re-re-re-re-re-re-watching "A Good Man Goes to War", the mid-season finale.

And I'm finding the River Song story is bugging me.

Spoilers ahead for anyone who isn't up-to-date on "Doctor Who" so if you're not hip on your Who, move on to other things.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Okay?

You were warned.

So River Song has stated repeatedly through her appearances that she's meeting the Doctor in the opposite direction that he's encountering her. The first time he met her was the last time she met him. Each time he learns more of her, she knows a bit less of him.

Their timelines are supposed to be going in different directions.

It's a clever and ambitious idea for a television program. It's got to be maddening to do.

And thus the continuity flaws.

So in "A Good Man Goes to War", you have Dorium Maldovar, the fat, blue, black-marketeer appear. Maldovar has had cameos in prior episodes, specifically in "The Pandorica Opens" in which he sells River a time-travel device.

Maldovar gets killed in "A Good Man Goes to War."

"The Pandorica Opens" happens earlier in the Doctor's time stream than "A Good Man Goes to War". Ergo, Maldovar should be dead in River's time stream and be unable to secure her the time travel device that lets her do her thing in that episode.

Unless the blue fat guy can regenerate (and I'm not ruling that out) it seems to me this River-Doctor time wonkiness is just going to get worse.

Argh.

Bugs me. I'm OCD enough for continuity. Time travel paradoxes really annoy me.

Okay, I got that off my chest.

End rant.

No comments: