Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Owie

I've never broken a bone before. At least not to my knowledge.

I expect I'd know if I had a broken bone, so I'm comfortable sticking with my first statement.

I think I broke my record last night (Har! I be funny!).

While working through throws in my class, I landed and took note that my pinky toe was not pointing in the right direction.

Yeah... that's not a good thing.

It didn't hurt, per se. It was just wrong. I reset it then opted to buddy-tape it to the next toe. I went back to doing the crazy martial arts stuff without much of a thought. As my class wrapped up, I could feel my toe starting to hurt and then wondered if I had indeed broken it.

Fast forward an hour later. I'm on the phone with the advice nurse and explaining what's going on. First thing he tells me is not to buddy-tape. No problem. That tape was gone as soon as I got home. I wanted to see if my toe was changing color or something equally disturbing.

Then came the other advice: ice it and pop pain-killers. Don't buddy tape and wear shoes with lots of toe room. Just suck it up and let the doctor's office know if things get worse.

That was pretty much what I'd expected, except the bit about buddy-taping. Apparently that causes complications. I learned something new.

The nurse advised me it's most likely the toe is dislocated, there's something torn in there, or it's broken. Not much to do but let it heal normally and not do stupid things to make it worse.

So that ends martial arts for me for a while.

And this morning, it hurts.

Here I was thinking I'm a pain-mocking badass 'cause I didn't feel any real pain yesterday. Oh silly me.

I still don't know if it's broken, sprained, or whatever. Guess it doesn't matter.

No comments: