Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Punking with Steam

My friend V introduced me to the "steampunk" band, Abney Park yesterday. I decided to download their "Aether Shanties" album and give it a proper listening-to.

I still don't understand how "steampunk" became a music venue. The music itself is a kind of folk-ballad-rock hybrid in the manner of various "Celtic rock" bands like "Great Big Sea", "Clandestine", and such.

Apparently the performers dress up in "steampunk" garb on stage when they perform. The Wikipedia article claims they used to be a "goth" band. I'm still fuzzy on how "goth" is a music style, but whatever works.

Meh. Doesn't matter. I do like this "Aether Shanties" album. The titular "Aether Shanties" song is my favorite so far.

I feel like I need to be wearing goggles and a funky hat now.

No comments: