Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What. The. Hell?

I caught a few minutes of Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" segment this morning.

They were playing the British version of "The Office".

Okay, so what the hell is going on?

First SyFy decides that airing science fiction (the premise of the original network) is just too much trouble, so they start with so-called "reality TV" shows involving wannabe Ghostbusters and then move on to wrestling (fiction, I'll grant you, but little science) and cooking show.

Cooking. Shows.

Why the hell they don't just change their name to "grab bag of shite" network is beyond me, but moving on.

So Cartoon Network.

Did I miss a memo? The last few times I've turned on their Adult Swim segment, they haven't had any animation at all. It's been a series of live programs. Something involving a children's hospital. Something that looked like an attempt at 70's homage comedy on acid. Then... "The Office"? Really?

Mind you, the British version of "The Office" is easily the best thing I've seen on that network in years, but really? How is that remotely related to animation or cartoons?

When did the people running these two networks lose their minds and the concept of target audiences?

And jesus... the animation Adult Swim does air... "Squidbillies"? Really? REALLY?

I crap better animation than that.

It's just insulting.

No comments: