Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Back in the Saddle

After a week in partially-cloudy, warm-yet-breezy, Honolulu, I'm back in California just in time for the heat wave.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It's warmer in the Bay Area than it was in Honolulu. Freakin' weird.

Honolulu remains as I remember it, for the most part. The strange calls of the local birds soothed me as I sought shade from the burning dayball and admired from afar the various gorgeous women in very skimpy attire.

It's the only place I've ever been (outside of Japan) where locals speak Japanese. And for good reason.

It retains many bars that I quite enjoyed. I found the mai tais in the Moana Hotel to be flawed and sub-standard while the mai tais at the Mai Tai Bar in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel retain their excellence. I also got to try mai tais at La Mariana (near the airport) and they had quite the tasty offering.

I also tried a "Trader Vic's Mai Tai" (bottled) on the flight home. That was easily the most disgusting drink I've had in recent memory.

It's good to be home.

No comments: