Tuesday, December 7, 2010

POVs

Had a couple of interesting conversations re: WikiLeaks with friends. Points raised:

1) Assange deserves the heat 'cause leaking the info was irresponsible and stupid.

I don't entirely agree. Oh, Assange should have known this would have been a problem. I think he expected heat, though not on this level. I don't think it was irresponsible, per se. The statistic that this information was already available to thousands of people, including private contractors, pretty much puts to rest the argument that any of this information was confidential.

The released cables have - according to most credible reports - been redacted for any indentifying specifics that would create targets. That seems to satisfy due-dillgence.

2) WikiLeaks is aiding terrorists by offering them a list of targets.

Seriously? Again, they're not providing specifics. Do you honestly think potential terrorists haven't already considered dams, train stations, and the like as potential targets? Really?

3) The WikiLeaks people talk about democracy but behave like anarchists.

I haven't seen proof of that, personally. That seems more like a subjective claim. In my (albeit limited) experience, most "anarchists" are just left-leaning folks pushing democratic activism. They aren't always showing good judgement, but that label applies to all ends of the political spectrum...

Personally, I think Assange f*cked up. He didn't realize just how big this was going to get. I feel for the guy and I'm personally sympathetic to what WikiLeaks is trying to accomplish, but I think their tactics weren't the best.

That said, I don't think I could come up with a better way to get the attention WikiLeaks was aiming for, so maybe I'm just naive.

No comments: