Friday, January 15, 2010

Ava-tardy

I'm late to the Avatar bandwagon.

I don't regret it. I hate crowds. I especially hate crowds of frothing fanboys and I knew long ago that this movie would draw them.

However, I decided today to treat myself and checked it out in 3-D. I considered IMAX, but I've seen IMAX at this theater and was unimpressed with the results vs the cost.

So just 3-D.

After a half-hour of trailers (sweet bejebus...) the movie finally came on.

And... wow.

Okay, so bad stuff first:

- Plot was pretty much "Dances with Smurfs" or "Pocohantus in Space". Heavy-handed with military = bad and scientists = good. Seen it.

- Dialog was painfully bad. Seriously.

- The human characters were wooden and uninteresting.

The good:

- the visuals were SPECTACULAR!!!

Yeah, the world was amazing. In 3-D you just get sucked in. Wow.

I'm usually restive after 2 hours of a movie. This had my full attention despite the wince-worthy dialog and plot.

Good, clean fun.

And the nature-hippy-alien message makes Republicans squirm. Icing on the cake!

1 comment:

Schadwen said...

I haven't seen it yet, but I have to support anythign that says "scientists - good".