Friday, October 9, 2009

Booksessss

Wow. 1301 posts. I clearly need a life.

Anyway... books.

I need new reading material. Borders sent me a lovely 40% off coupon, so I jaunted on over and perused their dwindling stock of anything of interest.

After a couple of passes, I noted the latest Joe Abercrombie book, Best Served Cold.

I liked the three books of the First Law that he previously wrote in that world. They aren't happy books, but they got increasingly better, for a series of stories about utterly unsympathetic characters.

I decided to give this one a try.

It's hardback and I was looking for something easier to carry, so I also picked up a copy of David Brin's The Postman.

Yes, there was a Kevin Costner movie based on this. Ignore it. The book is solid. I'd lost my previous copy, so a few bucks later and I had a replacement.

... of another depressing book.

Yeesh.

I had to hit the laundromat yesterday 'cause some punkass in my building took over the laundry room in the afternoon. I took Best Served Cold with me and burned through a few chapters. I do like this book a lot so far. Abercrombie's narrative style has gotten smoother and he's got somewhat more sympathetic characters this time.

We'll see how this goes.

No comments: