Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Kickstarter Xmas - the ZeroHour has arrived

Yeah, I get excited about the Kickstarters I back. It varies. Some I'm interested in but don't froth at the mouth over.

Then there's those that just make me jump up and down and squee like an 8-year-old on Xmas morning.

The ZeroHour Flashlight is one of those that falls in the latter category.

The Kickstarter page is here and describes the end-product better than I ever could.

In a nutshell, it's a variable flashlight (delivering 1000 - that's one thousand) lumens at its highest setting and acts as a power supply for phones, tablets, and the like.

Mine arrived over the weekend.

My shouts of joy were probably heard across the state and I'm pretty sure I have freaked out my neighbors as I play with the light's ridiculously-bright strobe function.

Initial thoughts:

  • The ZeroHour is a beefy, squat light. Sits in the hand with a comfortable weight. Might be too big for someone with small hands.
  • I believe non-Kickstarter purchases always come with lithium-ion batteries that can be recharged. It comes with a charger (both USB and AC), a carrying bag, a larger draw bag, a lanyard, and varying end-caps (closed cap, open cap, and - in some cases - a lanyard cap).
  • The light has a nice, wide emitter dish and a burly-looking strike-bezel on the end. It's got a single Cree bulb that is blindingly-bright.
All-in-all, it's a nice light to have in a large jacket pocket or a carry bag. I'm a little wary of the light switch getting clicked accidentally in a bag, thus turning it on. I know first-hand the light gets hot if it's on for a while. Still, it hasn't happened, so I may be worrying needlessly.

Certainly I'm not leaving this thing at home. I am too enamored with my shiny new toy to be apart from it for too long.

This might be the best flashlight I've ever had.

No comments: