Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mewling

I love that word. "Mewling".

Two and a half hours of my martial arts class last night.

I am not mewling right now. I am straight up whining.

I was all set to man-up and ride my bike to work today. The weather report made vague noises about the slim (10 to 20%) chance of rain/thundershowers.

I wimped out. Drove in.

For the best, really. My muscles hurt in a bunch of really interesting ways. Especially the legs.

Got an elbow hyper-extended a bit. Tender. But the knees and legs. They protest. Oh do they protest.

It's of interest to me (and slightly disturbing) that I'm enjoying this semester so much.



I remain unjustly-accused of placing a "Weeping Cherub" on my friend's doorstep. The mystery remains: who really performed such a devious act?

I am enjoying the unearned notoriety. I can't help but laugh whenever the topic arises. That said, I saw a photo of... it. Creeeeeeeeeeepy.

Don't blink. For the love of all that is holy, DO NOT BLINK!



I'm trying to hack my way through "Libriomancer" by Jim C. Hines. It got a solid review on either BoingBoing or io9, so I got it when I picked up "The Apocalypse Codex" by Charles Stross.

While I was engrossed in "The Apocalypse Codex" from the first page, I am finding myself having difficulty with "Libriomancer". It's a neat concept. A certain type of magic user can reach into books and pull stuff out to perform magic. It's got all sorts of clever refs to modern science fiction novels. The main character is a geek. Very clever.

It's not grabbing me.

Hines's narrative style is very good. The main character is likeable. I just can't get drawn into the story. It could be the overused trope of "vampires vs wizards" that Jim Butcher has already covered (and better, in my opinion). It could just be the forced-feeling matching between the main character and the badass Dryad character.

Or it could just not be my cup of tea. That would make sense, really. I'm more of a coffee drinker.

No comments: